Please urgent help, how could new castle do this😭

There is no way to know if this could be Newcastles disease or something else. Avian influenza has been a problem for several years in the US and many countries, and is spread by migrating birds along waterways. I don’t know how long Newscastles remains in soil. In some respiratory diseases, viruses can remain longer in frozen poops for months.

alright ill give the best advice I can if you can send one in for necropsy it could be mareks aswell take the sick and dull hen and separate them from the flock both in different cages encase the dull one isn't sick get a mask and completely clean out your entire coop and all areas if one is in critical condition it would be kinder to slaughter it then let it suffer I always if a chicken is in critical condition give it 1-2 more days and if it still suffering ill put it down and of course DONT EAT THEM
The two sick white ones passed already that's 6 bird's under a week

Sorry for all of your losses. What have been all of the symptoms of the chickens as they became sick? Have you seen gasping to breathe, crackles or wheezes when breathing, mucus from the nostrils or beak, head shaking, bubbles or foam in eyes, swollen faces or eyelids, diarrhea, or discolored or purple spotted combs? The vet you have contacted should tell you if the birds need to be put down.
If you lose them all, I would disinfect your coop and facilities and let it sit for a few months before getting any new birds. If this is one of those bad viruses, it can kill many birds in your area (Nigeria.) Are there hatcheries where you can one day get day old chicks? That is the best way to start again with healthy chickens. Newcastles disease or avian influenza could be the culprit, but without testing it is hard to know. But the vet should have a couple of the bodies tested. When one of those diseases affect an area, they usually control it by killing all chickens, and other fowl in the area to limit it’s spread.

Last edited:
Sorry for all of your losses. What have been all of the symptoms of the chickens as they became sick? Have you seen gasping to breathe, crackles or wheezes when breathing, mucus from the nostrils or beak, head shaking, bubbles or foam in eyes, swollen faces or eyelids, diarrhea, or discolored or purple spotted combs? The vet you have contacted should tell you if the birds need to be put down.
If you lose them all, I would disinfect your coop and facilities and let it sit for a few months before getting any new birds. If this is one of those bad viruses, it can kill many birds in your area (Nigeria.) Are there hatcheries where you can one day get day old chicks? That is the best way to start again with healthy chickens. Newcastles disease or avian influenza could be the culprit, but without testing it is hard to know. But the vet should have a couple of the bodies tested. When one of those diseases affect an area, they usually control it by killing all chickens, and other fowl in the area to limit it’s spread.
The only symptoms are swollen face and legs both red with purple blister like markings all over, then loss of appetite as well as green mucus like droppings

The vet did show up at my place yesterday and confirmed it's what he fear's but still can't tell me what cus it's "classified"

He then instructed me to put down and buried the remaining infected one's which leaves only 5 of my birds out of 15 and also prescribed a disinfectant/drug to pick up today, says it should be used on every single thing on my property including the birds then watch them for the incubation period of the virus is 4 days so by Sunday if the remaining 5 doesn't show symptoms then it's a progress

Lost another this morning leaving just one hen and 3 juvenile chicks
I just contacted the vet and he said the virus can't be contained anymore and I should utinize the remaining 4 bird's cus they are likely carriers

Attachments

• IMG_20240627_091832_088.jpg
    IMG_20240627_091832_088.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 8
Whatever it is, it sounds awful. Please do not go around the homes of anyone else who has birds so you don't accidentally spread it by carrying contamination on your shoes, clothing or hands. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.
So now the Instruction is to clear the yard of poultry then a deep cleansing is in order then to leave the yard 1-2months then deep cleansing again 2 weeks before getting new birds

I am sorry that you are losing the whole flock, but that is the only way to contain this deadly virus. It sounds like the highly pathological avian influenza that has been seeing a resurgence in Nigeria due to the path of waterfowl. Unfortunately, it is probably not a safe time to raise chickens or fowl now. Hopefully, your vet can sometime tell you the truth about what the chickens have.

Back
Top Bottom